Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sweet Dreams, Single Ladies pt. 4

OK… so I already know im gon get it for this one but I have to break my silence. First let me say, I respect Beyonce as a performer and an artist… but the Sweet Dreams video is where I draw the line. Hands down, Sweet Dreams was my FAVORITE song on the album, I mean without question. I just thought it was so dope. When I heard she made a video I thought it was going to be some crazy juxtaposition of demented darkness and beautiful light that the song calls into my consciousness. THEN, I watched it. And what did I see? The SAME video I have seen 3 times before off this album! THREE TIMES… single ladies, diva, and ego… 2 girls on either side, dance, skimpy costumes. Now I will admit, the choreography was different and some moments, like the last dance sequence, were great. But overall, I was bored. And I was pissed off more than anything b/c she can do SOOOOOO much more!!

Think back on her first album, to which I still listen to this day. Even though she danced in just about all the videos, they all told a story. I think my favorite was Me, Myself and I, which I have recently rediscovered and is my theme song. But crazy in love was colorful and dope dancing in the street… Naughty Girl, with Usher was throwback club dancing… Baby Boy was dancehall and the dope scene on the beach with her in the sand… and of course Me, Myself and I, which was in reverse

B-day’s videos started off pretty good but got lazy toward the end but I gave her a pass b/c she did make a video for every song and did them all in the span of a week or so. My favorite off that album, Flaws and All, without question. But this laziness on this album’s videos is just inexcusable. Beyonce fans are loyal… love her no matter what. And it seems that at bare minimum she would want to give them more than the same thing over and over. I know she’s on tour but if she can’t do it right, I’d rather she not make the videos at all…

Judge for yourself… let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbGV2_8Yqg4&feature=channel_page

5 comments:

  1. (1) LOL to her dressing up like an Oscar in the hopes that she will one day attract one into her life!
    (2) I'm genuinely surprised at your belief that she can do "soooooooo much more." Considering that she steals everything she is known for, from video concepts (Single Ladies concept was done by some old white ladies years and years ago), clothing ideas (Ciara Go Girl wardrobe and dancing was alllll over this video. boo.) and ENTIRE SONGS (If I Were A Boy, Kissing You), the only way I can see her giving better than this is if someone else comes up with the idea and does it first. I'll be looking for a Lady GaGa "Paparazzi" video cover from Bey in the near future.
    (3) Bey is good for one thing, getting me hype when I'm getting dressed and need to be at my most fabulous. All of her songs convey the same message: "I'm the sh**, get like me," and that is fine. She serves her purpose. But if all of her songs are variations of the same, why wouldn't her videos be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuzzo!

    I agree with you 100 fold, every video of hers invloves dancing...I guess its a "SASHA FIERCE" thing

    LOL

    I'm really not a big fan of that song tho...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah!!! I like this song but I would have expected something to go along with the vid. She is starting to get repetitive even though she is coming different with the dance moves. I totally agree with you. She should have done something different...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say 4 months later I was semi-right?! I knew B would go after Gaga/Paparazzi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!!! you most certainly did call that one maam...

    ReplyDelete