Friday, February 5, 2010

Corinne Bailey Rae: The Sea

Its so much easier to review a bad album than a good one. Only so many ways you can say great, perfect. No humor in that. But here’s my attempt at reviewing an album I absolutely love:

The album cover is gorgeous. I love her hair longer. She's still wearing her wedding ring.

I’d Do It All Again is perfection. I love this song.

Feels Like the First Time just feels good. It’s celebratory and is one of those songs that will make you smile. The playful music and lyrics match so perfectly. -

I love her soft voice up against more edgy beats like in The Blackest Lily. It’s beautifully complex. Same for Paris Nights/ New York Mornings.

Closer? WHAT?!?!? This is just sick!!! So sexy. More R&B than the last album. Diving for Hearts had a R&B sound too, but mixed with some rock elements… love genre blending

Love’s On The Way was something of let down after closer… didn’t get good until the end of the song.

I’d Like to Call It Beauty is typical Corinne. Soft and lovely.

Paper Dolls has a 60s British Invasion sound. Pretty much love that too.

This album was the perfect sophomore album. I was a bit nervous because I was not sure how her husband's passing was going to effect her music. I didn't know if she was gonna go all the way to the dark side or if the whole album was going to have me in tears. She has clearly evolved as an artist but has not abandoned her core sound. Lyrically, the album was beautiful. She experimented with different sounds and tempos so the album was not boring or just a re-do of the last one. I’m in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment