Tuesday, March 2, 2010

V.V. Brown: Travelling Like Light


So I’ve decided Kelis + Janelle Monae + Amy Winehouse = VV Brown… there really isn’t much more to say. Here are a few specifics…


Quick Fix gave me a Pink vibe


Game Over was a rebellious song with an alternative/hip-hop sound and free spirit


Shark In the Water sounded Amy Winehouse-ish, both lyrically and vocally (which is not a bad thing- I like Amy when she’s not on crack. LOL)


Her vibe put Janelle Monae to mind, especially Leave!, Bottles, Crying Blood, however, I think vocally Janelle Monae is so much stronger. Even the album cover is Monae-esque


I did really like I Love You and Traveling Like Light


It wasn’t particularly innovative. I feel like I’d heard all the songs before or they could have been on other albums I own. It’s ok.

5 comments:

  1. I feel its nothing like Janelle. Being from the UK she has been around for such a long time. I remember hearing her at 15 years old... its a shame your only hearing it now. She produces her own music unlike Janelle Monae..., the album is grammy nominatable to me and there hasnt been a black girl doing something like tis since Erykah. I love VV brown !

    ReplyDelete
  2. plus.... you really have to get a sense of VV brown live to understand the journey and depth of where this artist is going to eventually go. I dont think that the album truly explores her depth as she is live and whats exciting about this artist is the potential of where it can go. As an introduction this is a great start. Watch this space. You are not ready. It will be an underestimator and you will be shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like VV Brown she's seems like a good artist for sure! Although, I don't compare her to Janelle. I wouldn't compare anyone to Janelle actually - she's in a league of her own. Incredible!

    And I'm 1000% sure that other commenter was wrong - JM does produce her own music. She has her own label - The Wondaland Arts Society that she collabs with to create her albums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VV. Brown is definitely cool - but I'm with Kennedy. Can't compare her to Janelle. I like when are artists are left to be free and with out comparison. It allows them to change and flow into who they want to be.

    Speaking on Janelle Monae, huge fans of her new songs Tightrope and Cold War. She's on fire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the first commenter... I figured she had been around for some time this just happens to be my first exposure. I actually did see her perform on some late night show and thought she had a great live performance. I will definitely keep an eye out for her and maybe look into getting some of her old stuff.

    @Kennedy Janelle is definitely in a league of her own. She's what I like to call an "alphabet singer" she could sing ANYTHING including the alphabet song and I'd listen. LOL. But I think they both give off a similar vibe. For someone who had never heard of VV Brown I think its a fair reference point (mixed with the other artists I listed).

    @Jeff I can't wait for the new Janelle Monae. CANNOT WAIT!!! The singles are crazy and I know the rest is gonna be crazy. Hope you'll stick around for my review ;-)

    ReplyDelete