Thursday, December 17, 2009

Alicia Keys- The Element of Freedom

Admittedly, off bat I’m a little skeptical about this album. A. Keys doesn’t seem to have much of anything to say anymore. I was very unimpressed with the singles on the radio. Truthfully, I only purchased this album because it was $3.99 on Amazon MP3. So here goes…

I like “Love Is Blind.” Strong start. She incorporates a lot of different sounds, both musically and vocally. At points, it doesn’t actually sound like her.

Then this God-awful “Doesn’t Mean Anything”. I hate this song on so many levels. For starters it sounds like “No One” just slowed down a bit. And her voice is annoyingly nasal. I just can’t.

Ok. Am I the only that can’t listen to “Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart” with a straight face. I always think “what like Mashonda?” I know its awful but it’s true. I do like this song though. Guess it’s because its something I can relate to. And musically, its interesting. Holds my attention.

“Wait Til You See My Smile,” “Like the Sea,” “Put It In A Love Song,” “Distance And Time”- just why? No maam. [btw, put it in a love song is proof positive that putting Bey on a song does not mean it will be good]

“That’s How Strong My Love Is” sounds like “Tender Love.” HA!

I liked “Unthinkable” until we got to the chorus. HMMMM… apparently people think she’s crazy because she said that on about 3-4 of the songs so far, this is only Track 7. But do people really think she’s crazy? I can think of other things people think she is, but crazy is not one of them…

I just cringed on the opening of “Love Is My Disease.” Phew… that was rough. The song itself wasn’t terrible, just the beginning.

“This Bed” started strong, then she started singing and I changed my mind, but I’ve changed it back again. I kinda like it., all except the size and thread count of the sheets. Maam, I do not care. It reminds me of a good 80’s song.

I might like “Empire State of Mind” in a couple years after I forget about the other version. (or maybe not, since it sounds like the rest of this album)

The album a bit boring and lacks the focus I like. I get where she was trying to go, but it didn’t work so well. Sounds amateur-ish. You know what it sounded like? – That 5th grade poetry project we all had set to music. [Haiku, Similes, Metaphors, Iambic pentameter. I don’t even know how I remember that. Anyway…]

A. Keys can be so compelling with her music. Each of her albums has at least one song that can move me to tears (Songs- Butterflies; Diary- Diary; The last one- Lesson Learned). But this one lacks that song. However, I will say I’m glad to hear the piano again. It was very present here, last album not so much. Ummm… It’s not as tragic as I expected but I’m not crazy about it.


P.S. the album cover is quite lovely

No comments:

Post a Comment