Saturday, December 19, 2009

Robin Thicke: Sex Therapy


As soon as the beat dropped on Mrs. Sexy I thought Erykah Badu, Booty. Hmmm… I like though. Well, I like the vibe. Not the strongest lyrically but it’s a feel good song.

Can I just be honest for a moment? I’m not a huge fan of Sex Therapy. Sometimes the sexiest songs don’t have the word sex in them at all. I’m just saying.

“Meiplé”?!?!? WTH…. Are you rapping now Mr. Thicke??!?! Please don’t ever again. Thanks. Beat was dope though.

Liked the hook on “Make You Love Me.” Also liked “It’s In the Morning.” It had me nodding from the beginning. Could have done without Snoop though.

I hated “Shakin it for Daddy”- Robin Thicke goes horrible wrong when he tries to make dance tracks. And Nicki Minaj, I just don’t get her at all.

“Elevatas” was misplaced, like it should have been on another album, Rihanna’s.

“Rollercoaster” was interesting. Think I liked that one too.

It seemed to lose direction (or find it) around track 8. He went from a distinct hip hop feel to more of the band sound that he has done well in the past. With that, he transitioned into love songs, as opposed to strictly sex. I like the latter better. It’s what makes him different.

“Million Dolla Baby” started so beautifully. It could have landed on the last album. Has an old school feel. Liked “2 Love Birds” too, musically- the lyrics were sound but nothing extravagant.

“Jus Right” was PERFECT.

“Diamonds”?!?!?! Talk about mom on the end of SEX therapy. Ick. Oedipus complex anyone? It was lovely song though, except for the random shout outs at the end.

I’m a Robin Thicke fan but as with Alicia Keys, I was quite skeptical about this album. He just released an album that I loved earlier in 2009. I just didn’t know what more he would have to say. But now I know, sex (which I guess explains why his wife is expecting because obviously sex was seeping from his pores). Again, as with Rihanna, I respect an artist that can carry a concept to the end. In that way, the album was a success. Every track had good moments, but overall, it didn’t do much for me. It’s alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment