Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sex and the City 2


It really pains me to write this, but the movie was boring. I love SATC and I really had no expectations about the movie because I think enough is enough. I don’t want to see a bunch of aging women running around the city in the same way they did in their 20s and 30s. The jig is up. But the movie even underwhelmed my lack of expectations.


Well before I really go in, let me say the fashion was SUPERB!!! I mean fabulous. Best dressed for me, hands down, was Miranda. She looked chic and ever age appropriate. That dress she wore to Stanford & Anthony’s wedding was DIVINE!!! People thought Carrie should have amped it up more but I loved her shifting more into a classy space with a streak of extravagance. (ie the purple skirt in the market, which I LOVED, and the moment at the end where she was strolling around her apartment in a chic dress/house-strolling garment.) Furthermore, she wasn’t best dressed in the last movie either- that award goes to Samantha.


Now that that’s out of the way, the movie. [again]. First of all, they spent too much time lollygagging and galavanting in Abu Dhabi. There was nothing particularly EXCITING going on over there. They were just on vacation. Oh the Aiden thing??!? Not major- at all. She could have kept that little kiss to herself. The one moment that stood out to me, and was hilarious might I add, was where Miranda and Charlotte were sitting at the bar drinking, talking about their family issues. I immediately thought (for the first and only time in the movie)- huh, that’s interesting. I found it so interesting because Miranda and Charlotte are notoriously on the other ends of the spectrum, all the time- which caused a number of big blow outs. There were very few scenes in the show, only one coming to mind- Miranda’s baby shower, where there were Miranda-Charlotte moments. I loved that this movie gave a Miranda-Charlotte moment.


The movie stayed on Stanford and Anthony’s wedding too long and that Liza Minnelli performance was just dreadful. o_0 … Ma’am… MA’AM.


The real problem I had with the movie is that it was totally void of stories. AND THERE WERE STORIES TO BE TOLD!!!!! They skipped over everything for that 1 ½ hour long trip. Let’s start with Carrie. Yes she and Big were having marriage blues, but I wanted one knockdown drag out fight that caused them to separate and then reconcile. Nope, just some disagreements. I did like the moment at the end where Big said “You never said vows to me” and she said something to the effect of “I wrote them but you never showed up.” Duh Big. Silly rabbit.


Then Miranda. She finally quits her job and we get NOTHING about that. I would have loved to see her glazing a bowl with Charlotte, ultimately deciding that was not the life for her and end up opening her firm after an exhaustive job search. Or maybe not opening the firm but I would have liked to see more of the search.


And since I’ve mentioned her, Charlotte and this fussy child. I thought they were going to make the child autistic and have Charlotte blame herself for having a child so late in life. But nope, she was just bad. They mentioned the braless nanny, but only showed Harry looking ONCE.


Finally, Samantha. There’s not a WHOLE lot you can do with Samantha other than give her cancer again but I really wouldn’t want to see that. The whole menopause thing was funny at times, but in general, it just reminded me that they are getting old. Its not the same Sex and the City I waited for every Sunday or watched while eating an elaborate feast with my much older friends. This is not that story at all. I hope they are smart enough to realize that story is long gone and it may be time to leave the girls in our box sets or late night TBS reruns. I’m very sad to report, I think it is over for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment