Saturday, May 22, 2010

Vivian Green: Beautiful

First things first… WTH does she have on in this cover?!?! I shoulda known what the album was gonna sound like from the hair and fit. Ok…


Let me preface this by saying I was IN LOVE with her first album (I still listen to it to this day), barely in like with the second one so I have hopes but no expectations.


Liked the concept of Beautiful but it sounded like 2 different songs… she started in the first person, went to third, back to first.


I like When We’re Apart


She reminds me a little of Monica in that she is capable of making good music but sometimes falls victim to trend (although Monica redeemed herself with her most recent album). Vivian Green has a voice so perfectly fit for neo-soul/ that classic R& B sound. Her ballads are incredible. But in songs like I Know How… she has this up-tempo beat that absolutely doesn’t fit her voice or vibe. I would have loved the song but for that hip hop-esque beat in the background. She could have dropped it out and the song would have been PERFECT. Same for Search is Over and So Far Gone.


I HATE SKITS…interludes… all of them. Have I ever mentioned that? You should be able to tell the story through your music. (except maybe Kanye- he makes fun ones. LOL). The Better Man skit was soooooooooooooooo unnecessary.


Better Man could grow on me. Right now I’m on the fence with it. Never mind… rapping. I’ll pass.

Save me belonged on a different beat…. This reggae beat is so dope, should have been a song with sexy lyrics.


I like Too Intense… It’s giving me my much needed Danity Kane feel-good moment. Don’t judge me. I also hate when kids jump on tracks, but I’ll forgive it because I like the song.


I like Somewhere also, this is the space where she is most successful…. Her upper register is definitely not her strong suit… It’s annoying because it’s more like screeching than anything.


Caught Up is good. This is reminiscent of the first album. Why did it take 11 tracks to get here. Whoever this Lauren Tolez chick is singing with her sings her face off!! I love.


Jordan’s song is lovely.


The album felt long… not good since it was really only 13 tracks. I was over it by Track 8. It wasn’t a bad album, it just changed direction too many times. Welp… guess I’m back to A Love Story (first album).

No comments:

Post a Comment