Tuesday, November 17, 2009

#BeyGaga - Video Phone



So here’s the thing… I’m not a huge Beyonce fan. I respect her craft, I respect her artistry and she is a HELL of a performer. I would love to see her live (but because I’m not a huge fan, I’m a student and I don’t believe in sitting in the nosebleeds, I have yet to be able to afford that pleasure.) I could say all the same things about Gaga... but I say all that to say this- I’m objective.

Poor Gaga… she has such a cute little shape… until she stands next to Beyonce. Then she looks like a pale waif. [sigh]

I liked the video. I thought it was fun. It’s one of those videos that could make me like the song (because I DEFINITELY hate the song, it was one of my least favorites on the album). BUT I thought it was going to be a little more out there. More BeyGaga instead of Gaga in Beyland. Maybe a cross between Sweet Dreams and ANY of Gaga’s videos… PICK ONE. Or even more drama, high fashion. More than a series of booty pops with connecting choreography. I truly believe that sometimes Beyonce rests on her sexuality too much… She’s a beautiful woman with a beautiful body, but there has to be more in there than just that.

I find it hard to believe that the two biggest, most dramatic artists of the moment collaborated and this is all they could come up with. Nevertheless… It was cute.

2 comments:

  1. The song...hated it...this video makes me want to dance, tho! The remix is much better. And, as usual, agreed, agreed, agreed. When I heard Bey and Gaga were collaborating, I was expecting it to be something really eccentric and ecclectic and so as far as collaborations go, this fell extremely flat. (Just like when Bey remixed with JT and left me thinking, ok, its the same song with her singing a verse that I could have done without).

    At least w/ the Bey/Shakira collaboration, I felt like they both brought something to the table. Beyonce couldn't bellydance like Shakira and Shakira surely couldn't sing like Bey, so it was like they were teaching each other something. And I think Papa Knowles said, "no more of that."
    This restrained version of Gaga was clearly a Matthew Knowles production, because Gaga clearly can't compete in Bey's realm when it comes to booty poppin / R&B in general.

    Solange/GaGa would be RIDICULOUS. That's what I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Yeah... shakira turned that video. i LOVE that video

    ohhhh I LOVE a solo/ gaga... b/c solange is already out there. that would be delicious indeed.

    ReplyDelete