Wednesday, November 25, 2009

John Mayer: Battle Studies

First of all.... please take a moment to dwell on this album cover... De-lish...

Now to the music....

Heartbreak Warfare sent me back to Heavier Things... vibe and lyrics. Same for All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye

Half of My Heart went a little too country for me, but I like the lyrics so I'll go with it... (oh this is the song that Swift child is on. LOL... she irritates me, just in general.)

Who Says is a bit of unexpected comic relief (apparently it’s the single but I had never heard it. Hmmm)

Perfectly Lonely is the John Mayer I love.... the more bluesy side.

I like the chiming in the background of Assassin... sounds like someone is playing a xylophone… I wouldn’t be surprised. I would like to see a video to this one. I imagine a dark, Mr. & Mrs. Smith situation where he slinks out of the house just as the sun is coming up and the girl’s turning over reaching for a gun [to get him first] only to realize he’s gone. I don’t know… listen to the song… You’ll understand where I was going with that…

Edge of Desire was my favorite musically… from the time it started playing, it captured my attention. Do You Know Me was also beautiful.

Friends Lovers or Nothing brought Gonna Find Another You on the end of Continuum to mind… Its that closure track on the album (and usually a relationship as well)

I definitely like the songs starting at Perfectly Lonely to the end better. More my speed... somewhere on that line between blues and rock. Truthfully, there are always a good 2 songs that are too country for me on his albums, so I’ve come to expect them. This time, it was Half My Heart and Who Says… Just glad he got those out of the way up front. LOL.

The album is typical John Mayer fare... beautiful music, emotion evoking lyrics… I like it

No comments:

Post a Comment